Friday, October 18, 2013

The joy a baby girl can bring

I've always made a big effort to visit my granny as much as I can. When I was little, I went to her house after school, and as I have gotten older, I have tried to visit as much as I can. While I was working full time it was more difficult, but I knew when I was off and Isabelle arrived I would try to visit her each week.

My granny was beyond delighted when Isabelle - her 5th great-grandchild - appeared as a girl, after having 5 grandsons/great-grandsons born in 5 years. Throughout my pregnancy, she told me she was praying for a girl, and she must hold some weight with The Big Man, as her prayers were answered!

Since Izzy arrived, we have visited her (almost!) each week, and her delight at watching Isabelle grow, and at getting to spend time with her, is so clear every time we see her. She simply adores Isabelle, and Izzy is always so content to simply sit with her, nice and quietly, giving her great-granny a nice cuddle. Everything Izzy does, my granny thinks is simply the most marvellous thing, and it's so lovely for me to get to watch them together and see the joy Izzy brings to her.



On Tuesday when we visited, the sun was shining so I suggested we go for a short walk around the park. Since a fall last year, when she broke her hip, Granny hasn't been able to get out and about much, and I know she sometimes feels very trapped in the house. So she jumped at the chance, and we enjoyed a lovely little walk round the park, before Isabelle had a push on the swing.

The pair of them are like two peas in a pod- Izzy was more interested in looking all round her than the actual swinging, and my granny was more interested in looking all round her than watching Izzy! Then, when we got home, they both conked out! (And no joke, I actually thought my granny had died as she fells I deeply asleep!)

She later told my mum it was the best day she has had in a long time, and it made me so happy to hear that something we had done with her, something as simple as a walk round the park, had pleased her so much. Granny is 84, so the likelihood is that Isabelle won't know her for long, but I love knowing that at the minute, while she is still with us, Izzy and I can bring so much joy to her great-granny.

Enjoying a push on the swing

No comments:

Post a Comment