Saturday, January 18, 2014

Review: Ella's Kitchen My Little BIG Meals


I've posted several times about out weaning journey with Isabelle, and about our choice to follow baby led weaning. The fact that we feed Isabelle whatever we eat means that I've never ventured into the 'baby food' section at the supermarket - honestly, the thought hasn't even crossed my mind.

So, when Ella's Kitchen sent me some of their My Little BIG Meals for Isabelle to try out, I was a bit hesitant at first. I am not keen on the idea of Isabelle eating food that hasn't been home cooked, simply because a lot of the time that means there are far more ingredients being used than I would like - especially when it comes to sugar, salt and preservatives. Maybe it would be true to say that I am a bit of a food snob when it comes to my little.

But when our My Little BIG Meals arrived, and I had a thorough read over the ingredients, I was very relieved to see that not only do they only include organic ingredients, but the ingredients list reads more like a homemade recipe than anything else. Simply a list of good, organic, healthy ingredients which make up each of the different meals. Not only that, but each of the meals stated on the front just how many vegetables could be found inside - vegetable moussaka has 7, pork stew has 6 and chicken curry has 5! There is no way I include that many vegetables in one meal and, like all parents, I am always worrying that Isabelle isn't eating enough veg, so this was a big plus point in my eyes.

Isabelle tried the pork stew on a night when Simon and I got takeaway - definitely not something we consider suitable for her. I was surprised at how big the portion was - it was very generous and actually gave Isabelle enough for dinner and lunch the next day, and would be more than enough to fill up a bigger toddler.  Because the Little BIG Meals are suitable for 12months+, it was nice and chunky, which meant Isabelle could easily pick up the different bits to scoff them. Isabelle loved all three meals, with the chicken curry being her favourite.

So, our first experience of 'baby' food wasn't anything like I expected! It was simply good food, perfect for my little. While we will continue to feed Isabelle whatever we have most days, these Ella's Kitchen My Little BIG Meals are a little gem to has stashed away in case of a dinner emergency - which with my expertise in cooking, happens more than you might think!

Stay tuned for a review of the Ella's Kitchen cookbook coming up in the next few weeks.

Follow Ella's Kitchen on FacebookTwitter and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment