Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My style of parenting; crunch crunch

I never thought I would turn out to be a 'crunchy' momma. In fact, until a few weeks ago I didn't even know what 'crunchy' meant unless referring to crisps, so imagine my surprise when I found out I was kind of in that crew.

According to Urban Dictionary a crunchy mom is "A mother who supports homebirth, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, etc. One who questions established medical authority; tends to be vegetarian and/or prepare all-organic foods."

Ok, so I don't fit into all of that. I don't question medical authority - in fact Isabelle is getting her first jabs today. And home birth is not for me - imagine all the mess afterwards. But I breastfeed, baby wear, cloth diaper, co-sleep for a few hours each morning and am pretty much a veggie.

Much of that isn't stuff I ever thought of doing before getting pregnant. I thought babywearers were slightly insane, and hadn't given a single thought to cloth. But researching things while pregnant, I ended up convincing Simon we would use cloth, and he was the one who wanted to baby wear. Of course, I am not totally crunchy - I am part of the plastic toy buying, naughty step using crew as well, but for me, it's all about balance, and the scales seem to be tipped towards crunchy!

So here we are, crunching our way through Isabelle's first months. More on each of my crunchy ways in the near future...


No comments:

Post a Comment